Saturday, November 7, 2009

Girls soccer: MIAA South Sectionals

As promised, I'd blog occasionally about high school sports in Ledgerland. Even though I've been on top of the scene the last nine years as the high school sports coordinator (until February), I haven't been in regular contact with the coaches when they've called in their results, so I don't have my usual special insight as the postseason starts today.

But the more things change, some things stay the same. Let's take a look at the brackets and which local might advance the furthest -- and maybe even win.

In Division 1, I have a special place in my heart for Weymouth, whom I followed to the state semifinals last fall. The 'Cats, however, have graduated the heart of that team. It'd be a feat if Coach Mac (as in John MacIntyre) could get his team into the semis. The local team that I'm tipping into the final four is Whitman-Hanson. Sure, Sam Mewis is the talismanic presence in midfield, but the Panthers boast a defense that could push them through.

In Division 2, the Hockomock League champions usually do well in this bracket, which bodes well for No. 3 Canton. In the course of writing this summer about the top club team in the area (the Scorpions U-13s), I figured forward Lauren Berman would make an impact in her freshman year on the Bulldogs. She hasn't disappointed. I'd like the Bulldogs' chances of making the final if Dedham, which plays out of the always-tough Bay State Conference, weren't in their quarter of the draw. As for defending state champion Duxbury, I can't see the Dragons getting as lucky as they did in last year's postseason.

In Division 3, I am trusting my GateHouse South sports editor Ryan Wood, who has been on the Norwell bandwagon all fall. Ryan's a fellow soccer junkie and Chelsea fan, so I trust he knows his stuff. The Clippers have topped his regional rankings for most of the season. A potential pitfall lies with Hanover, with whom they drew 2-2 last Monday, in a potential semifinal. The other side of the bracket should not offer much resistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment