Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Make your list (sort of) and check it twice

One thing that makes it easier while playing in a league with daily transactions is setting your lineup ahead of time. I usually set my hockey lineup for the entire week on Monday. Only last week, I didn't check my lineup after making a move after that.

Last week I put the Bruins' Dennis Wideman on the injured list. The problem was that change reset my lineup before my initial changes (thanks, CBS Sports) and left out a 24-point game from Niklas Backstrom (one goal allowed in a win), a 22-point game from Brad Boyes (three assists) and a 13-point game from Kyle Quincey. The loss of those 59 points would have made the difference in a 6.5-point loss.

That defeat, my third in a row, leaves me in 4th place out of 6 in my conference. At 5-6, I'm one game out of third place, which earns the last playoff spot. As this is a keeper league, a few more losses and I'll have to consider trading for the future instead of for the playoffs.

As for my other hockey league, I've won twice a row. I'm still 3-8 and still in last place, but am out of the last playoff spot by 170 points. The top six teams by record make the playoffs, with the seventh spot going to the remaining team with the most points (the top seed earns a first-round bye).

Goaltending is still a problem and my defensemen seemingly can't get hot at the same time, but my forwards are starting to come around. Daniel Sedin has been brilliant since coming back from injury, and guys like Patrick Kane, David Backes and old favorite Alexei Kovalev have been very good the last two weeks.

It's a full slate of games tonight, but the NHL is off on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Make sure to check those lineups for the rest of the week ... have a merry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment