Monday, January 4, 2010

New year

I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions; why wait for a change in the calendar in order to effect change? And certainly the way my fantasy hockey seasons have gone, I could use a change.

Instead, I'm taking the opportunity to write about how thankful I am for the role that fantasy sports plays in my life. Namely, friendships. There are a number of 'fantasy' friends whom I've never met in person, but whom I'd be more comfortable around than other guys I've known for years. It's helped strengthened the bond with my best friend, Bill. It's helped me stay connected with my high school friends, as difficult as it may be to do with so many years and miles between us.

In a busy, demanding life that involves raising my two children, I have little time for hobbies. Fantasy sports has always been mine. I can still remember tracking my hockey team after the death of my grandmother in 1995 -- it was the one 'normal' thing that helped me from falling apart. And after my dad passed away unexpectedly a little more than two years ago, checking my player updates in baseball and football was among the little things that helped me find a sense of normalcy in the terrible aftermath.

So before I start getting really sappy, I'll paraphrasing one of my favorite songs off the Glee Cast albums (shameless plug) and say my life would suck without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment