Thursday, October 15, 2009

NFL: Consider trading

It's not ideal to start blogging about any sport in midseason, but good advice is better late than never. As we approach the midway point of the fantasy football season (most regular seasons go through Week 13, since experienced commissioners are wise enough not to use Week 17 at all), here's something to consider, no matter where you are in the standings: Trading.

With only four more weeks to deal with bye weeks, you might be able to strike a deal that you would otherwise couldn't. Case in point: a recent trade in my 12-team league.

After trading Kurt Warner for Roddy White, (I'm already starting Joe Flacco and Tony Romo in a 2-QB league), I realized that I had a hole this week since Romo and the Cowboys are on a bye. Checking the other rosters in my league revealed one owner with a decent QB (Jason Campbell) on his bench with little chance of starting; Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger are solidly his starters.

My friend Bill was willing to deal Campbell and get some value for him, whereas if he waited after Week 10, Campbell would likely have netted little back in trade. Even though Big Ben is on bye in Week 8, Bill was willing to take a potential hit to get a TE with upside (Jermichael Finley) and a backup QB (Matt Leinart) who might play in Week 8 given Warner's injury/health history.

If you had told me a week ago I could have traded Warner, Leinart and Finley for Roddy White and Jason Campbell, I would have been ecstatic. And that's what I am, heading into this weekend's action.

No comments:

Post a Comment