Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday morning blues

I've had better Mondays, fantasy-wise.

Both my fantasy hockey teams lost, dropping me to 0-2 in each league. My fantasy football team, after starting off 3-0, is slated to lose a third straight week.

In my full-contract, keeper hockey league, I rank 5th out of 12 teams in points. I was unlucky in Week 1 to be matched up with the #1 team in points; I was #2, losing by 45.

In my other hockey league (limited keeper; only 2 per year), things are more dismal. I rank 10th out of 12 teams, with injuries to Daniel Sedin and Pavel Datsyuk (my first-round draft pick) not helping.

My standing in my football league is still to be determined since I've got Vincent Jackson and Eddie Royal going tonight, but I think I'll still finish with the fewest points this week.

So what to do?

I'm taking solace in fantasy soccer team. I organized a league with seven friends (all with ties to GateHouse Media New England) that covers the English Premier League. After four weeks, I ranked tied for last. I'm happy to say after 9 weeks, I'm in first place by 12 points.

Granted, some of my fellow owners have not been making use of their transfers and managing their team from week to week ... but isn't that the point of fantasy sports? Meanwhile, I was dropping out-of-form players, adding those who were in form and not afraid to bench 'name' players in favor of those who had better matchups.

So it's OK to wallow a bit, but buck up and keep at it. Work the waiver wire, don't be afraid to trade and look at those matchups.

No comments:

Post a Comment